Thursday 19 January 2017

Aether Revolt PreRelease - Part 2



Welcome back!

I know by this point, the PreRelease was a while ago, and we're all looking forward to the first draft of the new set, but I still want to share my Sunday experience, as it will both bolster, and provide contrast to, some of my conclusions from yesterday.

The Pool.




As you can see, the wealth of artifacts in Aether Revolt is even more apparent in this pool. The poblem is that not all of them are good. Still, it makes it even easier to see which of your colours shine and which don't. Blue and red were immediately dismissed, and white wasn't far behind, though I thought long and hard about splashing Deadeye Harpooner. In the end, I didn't feel I had enough fixing, nor ways to trigger revolt to really make it worth the splash.

Thankfully, my rares supported my two deepest colours! And I also had a few good artifacts to round out the main deck, shown below. 





I had some pretty good removal in black, and some really good green or colourless threats, so all that I really needed to do was draw what I needed. We'll see how that went. On to the rounds!

Round 1

It seemed that Esper Control was meant to test me both days. Unlike Saturday's match, where I drew

nothing but land, my Sunday deck rose to the challenge. I did lose the first game, and I momentarily thought that perhaps I'd been foolish not to run my own consulate turret, as my opponent managed to kill Each of my two and three drops in turn, but that's where it pays to read the cards carefully, because the card reads "damage to player". He did manage to win the first game before we noticed anything wrong, and by tapping down my flier with Pacification Array so he could kill me in the air.



Game two was much more one sided. The Untethered Express made an early appearance, and as he spent most of his mana keeping it tapped down, he quickly fell behind on board, especially with me drawing removal. I still think he conceded too quickly, but we both saw which way the wind was blowing.

Game three was much the same. We traded damage for a while, but in the end the Untethered Express ran him over. The one mistake I made was when I saw him leaving mana up to tap something. I was smart enough to try to move to attackers with only my Sky Skiff crewed, but I forgot to use it to crew the express, when he tapped it down. As a result, he drew one more card than he would have. I still won.

Round 2

The Express did it's work once again, and this time, I had Aether Poisoner out early enough that I

could make a Servo to crew the train, and leave the Poisoner back, making the damage completely one sided. Game one was an early blow out.
In game two, it was more of a race, but the train gaining counters as well as the Aetherstream Leopard sucking up random bits of energy made for very strong attacks, with trample.

Round 3 - the rematch!

John-as-always is a smelly, dirty, cheaty-face (love you John), and you should never believe him if he tells you he has a bad deck.
That having been said, our match was very enjoyable. During game one, I

felt like I was on the opposite end of my last match, where I just completely got run over. He started with Narnam renegade into Narnam Cobra, which meant I couldn't attack early if I wanted creatures around to power my vehicles, and then he had a pair of Caught in the Brights which were enough to stop me from stabilising until he ran me over with a revolting Lifecraft Cavalry.

In game two, my mythic lizard (not an innuendo) finally made its first appearance. I had thought about keeping it in hand, so that John wouldn't know I had it, but that would have given him at least one more draw step. I will say this, he never concedes in paper magic. He made me swing in to kill him.

Game three was the game. John started out strong, and drew first blood. Then the train came out and

suddenly he started taking hits to the face. That didn't last long, though, because he managed to disable my train. I was still gaining ground, back up to twenty and all the way up to 25 where I sat, bricking my draws while he flooded the board with servos. Eventually, his cavalry came out and beat me down. Right up until that moment, I had a feeling he thought he was going to lose. In reality, it was just one excellent game of Magic.

Round 4

Nursing my wounds, I sat down against my next opponent, a player I respect and enjoy playing against. I was surprised, then, when he played a turn one Consulate Dreadnought. He then played a two drop into Glint sleeve artisan, Glint sleeve artisan, swing. Being hit for seven on turn four feels powerful, but I knew I had things in my deck which would just kill the Dreadnought, so I didn't want to throw away my board unless I had to. I took the first hit, then started using my small removal to kill things, hoping to strand the Dreadnought without a pilot. Alas, he kept making servos, and eventually he ran me over.




I don't remember the details of the rest of the round, except that I won the next game and lost the third. He told me after the match that he side-boarded the Dreadnought out in game two, thinking I had sided in artifact removal. He was right, but not to the point where I made my deck worse. I simply realized that Natural Obsolescence should have been in my main deck all along. It stayed there for the remainder of the tournament.

Round 5

2-2 record. I was playing for prizes again, and I sat down opposite our resident red/white player. He doesn't force it if the pool doesn't support it, but more often than not when I see him, he's playing red/white.
I knew my deck was favoured to win any long game. Apparently he didn't realise that, as he let me

get six creatures onto the board, and then I dropped my Aetherwind Basker. I had the option of swinging the next turn with a 21/21 trampler. At that point he spent a long time deciding whether or not to concede rather than show me his hand. In the end he let me swing in once and blow up his board, giving himself another draw step, but he conceded immediately after. I think he made the right choice to draw the card.
In game two, he got stuck on two land. He told me that he had an explosive hand, and if he'd drawn a land, he thought he had a pretty good shot, but we'll never know.

A final record of 3-2 put me in 7th place out of 22. Good enough to win a few packs, and again, the point was to play some magic, which I definitely did.

I can't wait to draft this set. Be sure to tune in Saturday, as I'll be writing up a report of my first draft right after I get home from FNM. I hope your PreReleases went well, and as soon as it's available, I hope to see you all in the draft queues on MTGO.

Thanks for reading,


- Step.

No comments:

Post a Comment